Are you having difficulty breast-feeding?
Have you noticed redness, pain or swelling around the breast?
Does the breast feel lumpy or hard?
Are you feeling any flu-like symptoms, such as fatigue, fever or achiness?
Then you may have mastitis.
Mastitis is an inflammatory breast condition caused by blocked ducts,
which can sometimes lead to an infection.
What are the causes of Mastitis?
- Decreased ability for baby to latch on or suckle hard enough
- Increased abundance of flow
- Not expressing enough, infrequent feeds
- Fatigue, stress, lack of sleep
- Tight, compressive clothing Physiotherapy Treatment Options:
- Education on the best way to manage the condition
- Gentle self-massage
- Heat packs
- Regular breastfeeding on the affected side or expressing with a
- Therapeutic Ultrasound:
Ultrasound is a beneficial treatment for mastitis as it is easy and
effective. The number of physiotherapy sessions range from 1-3
depending on the severity of the blockage. Although you will find
improvements within the first 24-72hours after ultrasound.
Ultrasound uses sound waves transmitted through the gel at a
frequency that causes a mechanical vibration. This can deep heat the
tissues, increase blood flow and circulation and speed up healing.
Therefore, decreasing pain and swelling, and opening ducts to improve
flow. Our physiotherapists are trained in dealing with mastitis and we contain
ultrasound equipment in every room. The physiotherapist will run
through all the treatment options with you on your initial consult.